GAMA/AKRON SYMPHONY EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES
POSITION: ASSISTANT CONDUCTOR / YOUTH SYMPHONY MUSIC DIRECTOR – download PDF
ORGANIZATION: Akron Symphony Orchestra/Akron Youth Orchestras
CATEGORY: Assistant Conductor/Music Director
STARTING DATE: July 1, 2015 (2015-2016 season)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Assistant Conductor serves as the primary artistic support staff to the Music Director in all rehearsals and concerts during the Akron Symphony Orchestra season. S/he will be knowledgeable, personable, self-sufficient, and detail-oriented and will work with the artistic staff to provide a high level of musical expertise. S/he may conduct works during the season at the Music Director’s discretion.As the AYS music director, s/he will work in close collaboration with the Akron Symphony’s Education Coordinator, Education Committee, Director of Artistic Operations, Executive Director, and Music Director to ensure effective artistic development of the orchestra. S/he must also have high musical expectations for the orchestra members as students engaged in a physical, musical, and emotional process. S/he must show a strong commitment to music education and articulate its importance to the students, their parents, and the Greater Akron community. This position reports to the Music Director and the Executive Director of the Akron Symphony Orchestra and serves as an ex-officio member of the Akron Symphony’s Artistic Policy and Education Committees. All required duties will be carried out in a professional manner consistent with policies, procedures, goals, and objectives established by the Board.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Akron Symphony Orchestra Assistant Conductor:
- Covers all ASO rehearsals and concerts: prepares all scores in the ASO season repertoire to ensure readiness to step in for the Music Director or a guest conductor in the event of illness, emergency, or other circumstances that prevent their appearance.
- At the discretion of the Music Director, conducts selected ASO concerts.
- Plans, programs, and conducts ASO Concerts for Kids in consultation with the Music Director, Director of Artistic Planning, and education staff. These concerts require an understanding of the necessity of a developmentally appropriate program.
- Participates in other on- and off-podium mentoring activities with the Music Director to support career development.
- Represents the ASO in speaking engagements and other public relations activities as assigned by the Music Director or Executive Director.
Akron Youth Orchestras:
- Serves as Music Director of the Akron Youth Symphony (AYS).
- Oversees the activities of the Akron Youth Philharmonic (AYP) in conjunction with its conducting staff.
- Oversees the AYS Chamber Program, including annual formation of ensembles and selection of ASO coaches.
- Manages all administrative aspects of the AYS program, including budgeting, additional fund development, marketing, and communication (both internal and external).
- Plans the full AYS season including sectionals, rehearsals, concerts, master classes, and other AYS activities, in collaboration with the Director of Artistic Planning.
- Plans, programs, and executes all AYS rehearsals and a minimum of four annual AYS concerts (fall, winter, AYS/AYP side-by-side, spring).
- Selects works with artistic merit to be performed; stays abreast of repertoire appropriate for student musicians; and ensures the effective participation of all orchestra players.
- Conducts all rehearsals, performances, and special events of the AYS.
- Actively recruits AYS members in collaboration with ASO and AYP staff, regional public, private, parochial, and home-school music teachers and academic leadership.
- Oversees and directs the audition process for new and returning AYP students in collaboration with AYP conducting staff and ASO education staff, establishing musical criteria, selecting and approving players.
- Manages AYS auditions for seating placement and section/principal assignments throughout the season as needed.
- Works with the Director of Artistic Planning to develop the annual AYS budget; oversees the selection and hiring of section coaches, audition judges, and hired personnel, and purchases or rent scores within the budget guidelines.
- Ensures that all required equipment including lists of chairs and stands required for rehearsals and performances is arranged ahead of time.*Maintains and continually develops the relationship with area music and band teachers, serving as the orchestra’s artistic liaison to the schools.
- Attends Education Committee meetings and provides reports as requested.
- Communicates with the Education Coordinator, Education Committee chair, and Director of Artistic Planning in a timely, complete, and consistent manner.
- Coordinates the annual concerto competition for members of the orchestra. The winner(s) of the competition will perform the concerto(s) on the AYS Spring Concert.
- A Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree preferred)
- Excellent musicianship and artistry as a conductor and teacher
- Substantial conducting experience
- Excellent rehearsal techniques, knowledge of literature suitable for youth orchestras
- Passion for working with high school students
- Experience conducting youth orchestras or other student ensembles is desirable
- Strong leadership and personal communication skills, particularly with young people
- Strong commitment to music education
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with the general public, area music educators and band directors, staff members, students and parents
Commensurate with experience, services provided, and budget constraints.
This position may be combined with other job opportunities with the Akron Symphony Orchestraor held concurrently with appropriate occasional musical or educational fellowships, internships, or part-time positions,dependent upon the skills and time constraints of the candidate and the advice and consent of the Musical Director and Executive Director.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter addressing commitment to leading youth ensembles, resume, two letters of recommendation, two additional names of reference, DVD or YouTube link demonstrating conducting skills to:
ASO Assistant Conductor Search
Greater Akron Musical Association
92 North Main Street
Akron, OH 44308
Or send via email – click here
Application Deadline: July 31, 2014
For 60 years, the Akron Symphony Orchestra has been a driving musical force throughout the Greater Akron area. Widely recognized for musical excellence, innovative programming, and performance versatility, it is committed to serving its community. Guest conductors and soloists of regional and national stature have been an integral part of the ASO’s Classic Series since its inception and remain a high priority for the Symphony.
The Akron Symphony Orchestra is operated by the Greater Akron Musical Association (GAMA), which is committed to providing symphonic and choral music of the highest quality, through performances and educational programs, to the largest number of people possible in the greater Akron area. GAMA also operates the Akron Youth Orchestras, Akron Symphony Chorus, and numerous special outreach and educational programs, including Gospel Meets Symphony.
Akron Youth Symphony: As the Akron Youth Orchestras’ flagship ensemble and one of Ohio’s oldest youth orchestras, the Akron Youth Symphony gives three concerts a year at venues including E.J. Thomas Hall and provides talented young musicians with valuable performing experience in their formative adolescent years. The orchestra recently celebrated its 50th anniversary with a performance in New York’s Carnegie Hall.
AYS members may participate in a Chamber Music program coached by Akron Symphony Orchestra musicians, providing students the unique experience of performing more intimate music on a smaller scale. Additionally, members may compete in an annual Concerto Competition, win scholarships for college and summer music festivals, and collaborate with area youth orchestras within and beyond Ohio.
Greater Akron Youth Philharmonic: This orchestra gives three concerts a season, including a joint concert with the AYS at E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall and a Side-by-Side concert with the Akron Youth Symphony, among others. Co-sponsored by Akron Public Schools, the Greater Akron Youth Philharmonic is dedicated to building the technical and musical skills needed to become successful members of the Akron Youth Symphony.
The Akron Youth Orchestras are open to middle and high school-aged students and are selected by audition in May and September of each season. All participants receive free tickets to all Akron Symphony Orchestra performances.